An Updated Message from the Wilma concerning the Global Pandemic
April 13, 2020
At the Wilma we like to take big artistic risks. But we never take risks with people’s health and safety. For that reason, we have made some important decisions to protect the health and safety of our artists, staff, audiences, and students during this global pandemic:
- Our administrative and box office staff is working remotely. Our box office can still be reached at 215-546-7824, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by filling out this form on our website.
- Our annual fundraiser, the Fete, scheduled for May 3, will be held virtually. You can find out details by clicking here.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing, Is God Is will not presented on our stage during the dates originally planned. However, we are still passionate about bringing Is God Is to our audiences, and supporting the artists in the creation of this piece. We are exploring the possibility of a digital stage production. Please stay tuned for further updates.
- Our weekly HotHouse meeting, where our company of resident artists come together to train, has moved online. As part of our commitment to our company of artists, we will continue to pay them during this time. The HotHouse will also be creating free digital work for the public, to be streamed on our Wilma Home Theater.
- All education outreach, including our AllStars and Portable Studio programming, has moved online. As part of our commitment to our teaching artists, we will continue to pay them during this time. Please follow our education department on Instagram for the latest.
- BalletX has postponed their spring production at the Wilma until July. If you have tickets with them, they will contact you about changing your seats to these new dates.
- Good Karma Cafe, which is housed in our lobby, will also be closed indefinitely.
The Wilma, like our fellow arts organizations, relies heavily on donations to keep our theater in operation. Your support will be more important than ever as we navigate uncertainties about upcoming events and gatherings. Please consider making a donation to the Wilma to sustain our operations during this difficult time. To make a donation, click here or call (267) 433-8137.
We also ask you to reach out to your local, state, and federal representatives to request that arts are included in any relief efforts. You can do that quickly and easily by clicking here.
Finally, if you have tickets to any other cultural events that have been cancelled, consider donating the cost of that ticket back to that organization. They, too, will be feeling the effects of cancellations artistically and financially.
Our thoughts are with the many people affected around the globe. The power of theater is to bring us in the same place and face our challenges together. I hope we will be able to do it again soon.
Thank you for your support during this challenging time. We wish you and your loved ones well during this difficult period.
Blanka Zizka, Yury Urnov, James Ijames, and Morgan Green